RESEARCH: PRACTISE TASK

 

Self-Portrait, 1889 Oil on canvas
Pierre Bonnard (1867-1947) was a French artist who worked mainly in post-impressionism and was a leading figure in the transition to modernism. He is most well known as a founding member of Les Nabis, an avant-garde Symbolist group emphasizing the basic aesthetic properties of painting.

Bonnard in all of his artworks uses a range of bold colours, starting from very cold to warm ones. What I also noticed is that it is characteristic for him to make dots or dashes. Usually, he does not create a smooth surface but builds the structure with shorter or longer movements. Describing his method, Bonnard has said, “the principal subject is the surface, which has its colour, its laws over and above those of object.”

"Nude in Bathtub (c 1938-41) is perhaps the culmination of the changes which had been taking place in Bonnard’s painting. Its colours are brilliant and visionary. The form of the bath adapts itself to that of Marthe within, curving around her legs in its asymmetry. The shimmering patterns of the floor and the curtain are quite independent of their orientation. Beside the bath, Marthe’s dog looks up at the viewer, as if knowing where this is all heading."

"Nude in Bathtub" is one of Bonnard's famous paintings. Since I'm not a fan of postmodernism, I didn't like this painting either. I must admit that I am also not delighted with such a selection of colours. They seem very random, sloppy and ill-considered. Furthermore, the whole perspective, in my opinion, is also very unsuccessful. Although I know that many people would think otherwise, however, this is not a style that will appeal to me. I am aware of the fact, that it is an avant-garde, but this piece of art is incomprehensible for me. Disproportionate objects or people are not my favourite elements. Still, there is one part that I like about this painting - the dog, not the dog itself but the eye-contact that it's having with the recipient. Moreover, this artwork could probably contain some hidden symbolism, but being distracted by the visual layer, I am, unfortunately, unable to see it. 

Sincerely, I have to say that this artwork showed me the colours that I am never going to juxtapose in the future. This is not the style and these are not the techniques that will ever appear in my artworks. I prefer the clean, significant way of drawing or painting and I would rather develop further in this way.


Reference:

Pierre Bonnard


Accessed: 11.11.2020

Pierre Bonnard: At home with Marthe, 1937-1943


Published: 15.08.2018

Accessed: 12.11.2020

Pierre Bonnard


Accessed: 12.11.2020

Pierre Bonnard


Accessed: 12.11.2020


Comments

  1. This is just copied and pasted from other sites - you need to write in your own words and intertwine with your won opinion and thoughts and back this up with evidence - I can look at the original sources to see this. You need to explain how this work informs your work, what have learnt from this - how is this useful

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts