SEQUENTIAL IMAGES: HOMEWORK TASK

 This homework task was exactly the same as the one we had to do during the class.

This time I was inspired by the artwork called "Chance Meeting" by Duane Michals.

I really liked the mood and black & white motif. The wall on the left reminded me of the long plain walls in the long dark corridors. This is how I came up with my idea.

"Chance Metting" - Duane Michals

"Shot in 1970, it is called “Chance Meeting,” and may just be the best of the photographic series that Michals pioneered. The suite lets us watch as two quite ordinary men pass each other on a side street, and in passing exchange a glance pregnant with desire. Or at least that’s the very obvious (and as it happens intended) reading that we have of the series now, especially knowing the other gay-themed images that Michals has shot. But several people who saw the series when it first came out–including Linda Benedict-Jones, the survey’s curator–have told me that they didn’t immediately get the homosexual subtext, although they could tell there was something promisingly queer, in the older sense, about the work. That means that the series itself, as a work of art, played the same game of partial signs and obfuscations that its subjects are engaging in. Right into the 1970s, homosexuality was the desire, that dared not speak its name, or declare itself fully in art. Michals’s series declares that undeclaration".

This is a storyboard of my idea. 

I wanted to show movement and how the light changes. I wanted this image to be scary, like a scene from a horror movie set in a mental hospital.

And this is how it turned out.









Then I needed to edit these photos to get as much of them as possible. I decided to apply the black & white filter. In this way, I achieved the perfect, terrifying effect that I expected.

The editing process for these photos was very simple. I just put a filter from my computer on them. The penultimate photo was taken with a flash, so the light is distributed differently and with the last photo I shortened the exposure time to get a dark effect. I was lying on the floor for the whole session to get the perfect angle and show how long the corridor is.

The images turned out in the perfect way. I achieved the exact effect I wanted and I fulfilled my innermost expectations regarding this project.

 

Reference:

Duane Michals Reveals Gay Hiddenness

URL: https://news.artnet.com/exhibitions/duane-michals-reveals-gay-hiddenness-239457

Published: 02.02.2015 

Visited: 11.10.2020


Comments

  1. Well done on the storyboard and the final images - well put together and they work really well. However throughout you really need more research and referencing and you need here to discuss technically how you achieved this and the settings on your camera/phone and the process of editing them together - please add this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts