FINAL PROJECT: 2D DESIGNS

As I have mentioned before, my 2D part of the project for this term is a collection of 4 black maxi massive dresses.

The collection is the combination of futurism (lights) and 16th & 17th century (colour black, the shape of tops, corsets and volumetric bottoms). All of the designs are made of black viscose with linen and polyester tulle.

Starting from basic fast sketches, I thought about each piece individually.

I got rid of the no.5 as I did not like it as much as the other ones. And I actually wanted to show the volume created with layers of fabrics instead of using a rack.

1. Edwardian S-bend corset; off-shoulder straps/sleeves (added later here); short basic bottom skirt with added lights; long massive train made from 5 layers of different length fabric with knife pleats.

2. Underbust corset; triangular bra top; halter tied strap; waistband; box pleats with lights inside.

3. Underbust corset; raindrop-shaped none strap bra top; 5 layers of regency pleats; added lights.

4. Underbust corset; dragon wing-shaped none strap bra top; waistband; 3 layers of 2 different length tissue shaped pieces of tulle.

PROCESS OF CREATING

To create the designs, I have been using 2B and 3B pencils, white and black crayons, rubber and a black ink pen. To add the lights, I worked with the digital software - PicsArt.

I started by making the templates

Then, I sketched the shape of the dress using 2B and 3B pencils. 

I also marked the places where lights should be.

Then, there was a time for colours. I did so using an ink pen and black crayon. I paid special attention to shadows as they allowed me to show the volume and pleats. 

I could not leave the design without skin colour and hairstyle. 

The next step was to scan the drawing.

To add the lights, I used PicsArt and the "brushes" tool.

I did the same things with all of the rest designs.

And this is how collection presents altogether:

1) photos without added lights

2) scans with added lights



3) photos with added lights - I used digital software (Photoshop Fix) to cut out the designs from the dirty background and added lights in PicsArt
I think that the 3rd version looks the best and I am going to use it while presenting the designs in the final portfolio.

Comments

  1. Okay I agree, but I think there could still be some room for improvement in terms of finessing the outcomes before you present them at the end of the term - to make them look tighter perhaps tidying up some of the lines and enhancing the shapes of the models themselves. I'll talk to you in the tutorial tomorrow

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts